Monday, March 14, 2011

How I Met Your Father.....

13 years ago my husband lost his BFF, Joe McDevitt. I had known Joe most of my life. He was also my sister's neighbor. George & Joe became best buds in HS. I had seen George around, and to be honest I did not like him. Apparently Joe & my sister had the great idea to try & get us together. I remember my sister talking him up, but I was "seeing" someone else & just really not interested! Then a few months later at my nieces 16th bday party George & Joe were there. well let me tell you sparks flew and it wasn't love...we bickered! HAHAHAHAHA! Still had no interest.

Fast forward a few months.....The early morning of March 14th. get a call from my sister telling us that the McDevitt house was on fire & did I know where so & so was? (So & so was an old friend of mine who dated Joe's cousin.) My mom & I go up to Prospect Ave. Everyone is standing in the street. I looked up the street & saw George standing there just looking so heartbroken. I have no idea why but I just felt the need to go to him. He was sitting on the side of someones house. I went & just sat with him. He knew what the others were not positive of. Joe was in the house. (he & his brother & cousin were unaccounted for.) He had been out with Joe the night before. They had a good time, went their separate ways to their respective homes. Then they talked on the phone, Joe was making himself something to eat. An hour or so later George go the call.

It was so devastating. Joe was 23 & had a brilliant career ahead of him. There was just something about George that drew me to him. We worked in the same shopping center. Me at Peppers him at the beer distributor. After the funeral I would stop in to check on him.

Then as they say the rest is history......George & I went on our first date 3 weeks later, where I fell in love with him! we have been together since, Joe must have really wanted us together.

So I guess I really need to say THANK YOU to Joe for bringing Me & George together & for Joesph Patrick & Calvin Reid.

It is amazing since then how many deaths, births, marriages & divorces we have been trough together.

No comments:

Post a Comment