Thursday, May 5, 2011

Friends & Neighbors

9 years ago this coming July, we moved into our home on Rambo St. We are #9.....my new neighbor at #3 was Winnie. Winnie just happened to be a lifelong friend of my moms. So I have known her my entire life as well. What luck to have Winnie as my neighbor. She made us feel part of the block right away.

After I had Joey she was a lifesaver. I could run to her house at any time & ask her to watch Joey. I would bring him to her or she would come sit here while he was sleeping. About a year or so later she started watching her grandson. Joey & Kyle became fast friends. We would sit outside while the boys played with chalk, bubbles or rode their bikes. I now had company as I stood on the corner with Joey to watch the never ending trains passing! When I doubted my parenting skills, she regaled me with stories of raising her boys & never made me feel like a horrible mom for feeling the way I did. She loved my boys like they were her own grandkids. and they loved her like a grandmom.

When she got sick I felt helpless. I did not know what to do or say. I was always offering my help. But ever the stubborn woman she refused. It was hard to watch her the last few years grow older & sicker.

Last week she was brought home from the hospital & put on hospice. Selfishly I was glad, because I just couldn't go to say goodbye to her at the hospital. I had so much to thank her for. She was more than my mom's friend. She was my saving grace & my friend. Calvin & I got to spend her last days with her & her family. What a truly wonderful gift that was. I got to say what I needed to, even though she was not conscience. she got to leave us on her own terms & damn if she didn't do it her way!

Yesterday I heard someone come out of her house & it hit me....I will never hear her call my name again, or yell hi to the boys.

Thank you Winnie! You will be missed by all the Rambo St Gang!

No comments:

Post a Comment